You always need chocolate right??
Zucchini and Chia seed, Moist Chocolate cake
A chocolate cake with some added goodness.
After 3 years being a tagged on recipe on another post I have finally out this chocyliscious baby on a post all of her own! x
A beautiful, moist chocolate cake (with added goodness).
Most of us love a chocolate cake and if you are going to have a chocolate cake why not have one with some goodness inside!
- 125g butter
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or swap for stevia)
- 1 tsp good vanilla
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 cups zucchini finely grated
- 4 free range eggs
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3 cups gluten free self raising flour, OR 2 cups organic self raising flour OR wholemeal spelt with 2 teaspoons baking powder.
- 1-2 cups whipped cream or whipped coconut cream for dairy free
- jam (I use homemade or sugar free with stevia/fruit juice sweetener )
- fresh strawberries to serve
- Pre heat oven to 180`c
- Grease and line with baking paper 2 x 20 cm cake tins
- Gently melt chocolate and butter
- Combine chocolate butter mixture in a bowl with the sugar
- Add in vanilla essence, eggs
- Mix in almond meal and flour, mix together well
- Fold in zucchini and chia seeds
- Pour mixture into lined tins
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until springs back when touched
- Turn both cakes onto a wire rack to cool
- Once cold place one cake onto a dish, spread with a generous layer of rosella conserve and then a layer of whipped cream and some sliced fresh strawberries
- Assemble second cake on top (arrange it flat bottom on top for a neater topped cake), top with whipped cream and decorate with walnuts and fresh strawberries
- Use milk chocolate for a milder version
- Leave the cream out and instead make and use a dark chocolate icing in its place
- Squash can be used in place of zucchini if you find you have lots of them growing in your garden!
- Swap walnuts for more fresh fruit or even choc chips!
- Use wholemeal spelt flour – this does make the cake heavier so I recommend adding in some vanilla yogurt if you use any type of wholemeal flour