I made them these savoury herb pikelets yesterday and they ate the whole batch they loved them so much and none even got close to a lunch box, oh well, at least I know they love them. Looks like I'll be whipping up another batch!
Savoury Herb Pikelets
- 125 g butter
- 2 free range eggs
- 1/2 large raw sweet potato, finely grated
- 1 cup buckwheat flour ( can be found in health food shops, whole food stores and coles)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (gluten free)
- 1/2 cup finely grated cheese
- 1/4 cup natural yoghurt
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (almond, soy, dairy)
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped parsley and coriander (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- dash or to taste himalayan pink salt
- 2 teaspoon chili (my kids did not notice it all but you could leave out, reduce or increase to taste)
- 1 heaped tablespoon SuperFood For Kids Vital Veg Powder (optional - this is a gorgeous added extra to boost their immune systems, can leave out, see notes)
- Soften the butter in a large bowl with a wooden spoon
- Add in the eggs mix together
- Stir in the paprika, salt, fresh herbs, cheese, yoghurt, sweet potato and vital veg powder
- Mix the baking powder with the buckwheat flour and then add into the bowl.
- Stir in the milk, if it looks to dry or is too thick add more milk or some water
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium high heat.
- Drop small amounts of the mixture into the warm pan as you would normal pikelets.
- When you start to see a few bubbles form around the edges or a little browning carefully flip them over. Note: I find these a little gooey at the flipping stage as compared to normal flour so it just takes a little more care to flip, don't worry if they are not perfect they will turn out lovely!
- Remove from pan once lightly browned on both sides and cooked through the middle.
- My kids absolutely loved these COLD. In fact it was their preferred way to eat them.
- I have not tried a dairy free version of these but you could definitely experiment, why not let me know if you do and it works!
- If your not gluten intolerant you can of course make these with normal self raising flour (just leave out the baking powder)
- The vital veg powder is a gorgeous organic, raw, vegan, allergy friendly superfood powder for kids. If you have fussy eaters, colds going around the school or day care or just want to give your kids a boost this powder is gorgeous. Even if your kids eat really well I think it is an exciting thing that we can give their immune systems and bodies. It really helps super charge their health and I love adding some of these beautiful powders in our cooking.
I am not normally one for adding powders and things, especially with kids. My two eat lots of fruits and vegetables but this range I really love.
The creator of these products, also a mum has made a truly wonderful brand with honest ingredient labeling that you can read and say "love this".
You can of course leave this out of the recipe if you wish.
- My toddler just loves these, I made her toddler hand sized ones and gave them to her with hard boiled egg, cut up capsicum, carrot, snow peas and cherry tomatoes and she was delighted. The cheesey, savoury flavour was a hit.