There is something about the chilly air and crispness of the days in Winter that make me always long for soup. I love soup, especially with fresh crusty bread, enjoyed with friends and family under a cold, grey sky or rugged up in front of glowing fire embers with a great book.
Soup makes me think of scarves, boots and winter colours, fallen leaves, houses warmed by baking and the warming scents of spices.
It is a wonderful time of year to be baking in the kitchen and I make a lot of soup through Winter and this recipe here is so easy and so healthy.
You dont need to be a really experienced cook, have a big veggie patch or hours of time on your hands. This can be easily whipped after for a family dinner and is a perfect meal idea for when you are tired, cold and hungry after a long day.
It has lots of added goodness and protein and one of my favourte spices, turmeric, which has great health benefits.
It is so simple and yet so delicious...
- 1 Maleny IGA vegetable soup-pack (find me in the fruit & vegetable section)
- 1 Maleny IGA dry soup-mix (find me with the lentils & pulses)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 teaspoons Goumet Garden garlic
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 medium fresh red chilli
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Karim Himalyan salt to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- In a deep saucepan sauté the onion in the oil with the garlic and cumin until slightly wilted.
- Add in the chilli, turmeric, garam masala, stir through.
- Chop and peel vegetables from the Maleny vegetable soup pack, add into the onion mixture and stir together for a few minutes.
- Pour in the stock, tomatoes and lentil mix.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook, stirring occasionally until lentils are cooked and vegetables are all cooked through.
- Add additional water if needed but only a small amount at a time.
- Taste test and season to taste.
- Serve with crunchy bread like Essential Grain spelt sour dough or olive bread.
- Using the ready to go soup packs makes this a really simple and cost effective soup for the whole family.
- Give the soup extra heat by adding more fresh chilli and you can give it more of a cold beating boost by adding to taste extra fresh Australian garlic.
- Increase their interest in soup by serving it in a fun bowl with toasted bread soldiers for dipping.
- A really dense sour dough bread roll can be hollowed out and filled with room temperature soup for a funky serving style.
- Call it dinosaur swamp soup and serve with dinosaur shaped toast soldiers.
- Add a healthy noodle/angel hair pasta into the soup a few minutes before serving, served when cooked.
This recipe is part of the Maleny IGA Local Product Local Recipe - free recipe card series.
You can collect this card and everything to make this recipe in store.
Maleny IGA - Make it easier to support locals.