Custard Apple Coconut Crumble
• 3 large ripe custard apples
• 2 large or 3 medium green apples
• 1 stick cinnamon
• 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
• 2 cups organic oats
• ½ cup almond meal
• 2 tablespoons chia seeds
• 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
• ½ cup raw organic virgin coconut oil
• ½ cup spelt flour
• 1 cup organic desiccated coconut
• 1 cup dark coconut sugar
• 1 large apple crumble baking dish (or 2 smaller ones)
• Maleny Dairies cream to serve (or coconut yoghurt for dairy allergies/vegan)
• Preheat oven to 180`c
• Break open custard apples and remove flesh, making sure to remove the seeds, place in a deep saucepan.
• Wash and chop the apples into bite sized pieces, place in saucepan with custard apples.
• Cover with water and place in cinnamon stick and 3 tabelspoons coconut sugar.
• Simmer slowly on a medium low heat until apples have collapsed slightly. Remove from heat, remove cinnamon stick.
• In a bowl combine the oats, flour, sugars, coconut oil , desiccated coconut, chia seeds and cinnamon. Mix together really well.
• Pour the apple mixture into the baking dish.
• Top with the crumble mixture, press down gently to make sure it is evenly and neatly topping all the apple mixture.
• Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until the crumble on top has a nice rich, golden colour to it.
• Remove and serve while still warm with fresh Maleny Dairies cream.
• This is a beautiful dessert the whole family will love. Great for home dinners, entertaining and dinner parties.
• A great recipe for beautiful, seasonal custard apples.
Swap the dark brown sugar for coconut sugar.
• Make it a real coconut experience by serving with some CoYo coconut yoghurt.
• Kids love apple crumble, it is one of those desserts that is popular with nearly everyone, making this a great family friendly recipe.
• Be careful the crumble is not too hot when you serve.
• For an extra treat serve with vanilla ice cream.
This is equally nice the next day so great for in the school lunch box too.
This recipe was created for the Maleny IGA Local Product Local Recipe Cards, promoting producers from the region. Recipe & Food Image Photography ©RebeccaMugridge 2013