Looking for something FUN, gorgeous and exciting to make?
Why not try a watermelon fruit salad basket?
Gorgeous and healthy!
Check out my recipe from the Maleny Supa IGA's exciting Local Product Local Recipe - recipe card series - a new one is released each week and can be collected from their deli counter.LIKE the Maleny Supa IGA on Facebook to stay up top date with the recipe cards, products and the very popular taste testings once a month!
1 large seedless watermelon
1 honeydew melon
2 punnets blueberries
1 punnet strawberries
300g seedless grapes
1 melon baller tool
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup caster sugar (or you could use stevia)
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons Buderim Ginger Cordial, undiluted
- In a saucepan combine the sugar and lime juice, stirring over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, stirring constantly and then stir for one minute, remove from the heat.
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes and add the ginger cordial, stir well and set aside to cool completely.
- Draw an outline with a pencil on the outside of the watermelon, for a basketdraw draw an eye shaped section on each side, to make a bowl with a handle.
- Cut out two shapes carefully and remove and place all red flesh from the now visable "handle".
- Hollow out the watermelon and place flesh in a bowl.
- Using the melon baller cut balls from the watermelon flesh, rockmelon and honey dew, set aside.
- Wash the strawberries, grapes, blueberries, drain.
- Mix all fruit together very carefuly.
- Fill the watermelon basket with the fruit.
- Decorate the handle of the basket with fesh flowers attched with some thin wire (optional).
- Pour the ginger and lime dressing into a decorative jug.
- Serve at the centre of the table and drizzle some of the dressing on as you serve each bowl of fruit salad.
- Fruit can be varied according to personal preference and seasons.
- A very refreshing and colourful dish.
- Perfect for entertaining or taking to a party.
- Left over melon flesh from the balling is perfect for adding to delicious smoothies!
- A wonderful recipe for getting children excited about fruit!
- Great for kids parties.
- Perfect sized fruit pieces for small mouths.