A beautiful, creamy mousse with no animal gelatine instead using Agar Agar, so suitable for vegetarians, Agar Agar is a natural gelatine from seaweed with many health benefits. This is a really pretty and tasty guilt free dessert. Serves 4-6 depending on glass sizing.
· 1 bar of Spiral Foods Agar Agar.
· 1 rockmelon, chopped
· 2 mangoes, chopped
· 1 passionfruit
· 2 tablespoons honey (or to taste) SWAP for rice malt syrup for a vegan version
· 250g yoghurt, I use Maleny dairies, Jalna, Qld yoghurt, or Coyo coconut yoghurt for a vegan version. look for a full fat yoghurt that does not have sugar or artificial sweeteners in it!
· ½ rockmelon extra to decorate, cut into long thin strips or cubes.
· 1 mango; ½ mango extra to decorate, cut into long thin strips or cubes, ½ mango sliced for layering in the serving dishes.
· 6 Fresh cherries (or to taste)
· Soak one bar of the Agar Agar in 3 cups water, until soft.
· Place the water and Agar bar into a saucepan and bring to the boil, then continue to boil slowly for 15 minutes, lowering the heat a little but so it is still hot, stirring, do not leave.
· Blend the rockmelon and flesh from 2 mangoes.
· Pour the mango/rockmelon mixture into a large bowl and add in the yoghurt.
· Sweeten the mango mixture with the honey, using less or more to taste.
· Pour the Agar Agar mixture into the mango mixture.
· Combine well.
· Pour the mixture into decorative serving bowls, glasses or large serving bowl.
· Layer with the Agar mixture and then the mango from the ½ cup set aside, finishing with Agar mixture.
· Decorate with the extra mango and rockmelon.
· Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
· Garnish each glass with a fresh cherry (when in season – optional)
· Sweeten the mousse to personal taste with the honey, using less or more as desired.
· Honey could be swapped for stevia for fewer calories.
· Great dinner party dish or for a low fat delicious dessert for the family.
· Can be made the day before a dinner party and kept in the fridge.
· If cherries are out of season use an alternative like a strawberry or fresh raspberry to garnish.
· Pour their servings into clear plastic decorative glasses or bowls or very little cups like plastic shot glasses and drop cubes of rockmelon and mango through the mixture.
· Kids tend to like theirs really fruity so add plenty of chopped melon and mango into their mixture. You could also include a small one of these in a school lunch box with an ice brick to keep it cool.
This recipe is from the commercial work I did for the Maleny Supa IGA Local Product Local Recipe - recipe card series
Check out my facebook page and business Making Food Beautiful Styling and Photography - I am available for many types of commercial work and I also offer services for bloggers, cafe's and restaurants where you send me your recipe and I will make it, style it and photograph it for you in high resolution and print or publish ready.