Beautiful Beetroot, Yoghurt &Chocolate Muffins
Making chocolate healthier. These muffins have added goodness, no added refined sugar and are so rich in flavour one is enough so perfect for satisfying any sweet craving, espeially when you just have t have chocolate!!
The beetroot also gives them a beautiful colour and texture.
· ¼ cup cocoa
· 1/4 cup honey or Natvia stevia
· 1 & 1/2 self raising flour OR spelt flour with 2 teaspoons of baking powder or gluten free.
· ½ cup almond meal (leave out for nut free and increase flour to 2 cups)
· 1 cup natural yoghurt
· ¼ cup butter
· 1 large raw beetroot, peeled and finely grated
· 8 drops liquid chocolate stevia (optional)
· 2 free range eggs
· 75g dark chocolate, finely chopped (I would use green and blacks organic or sugar free sweet William)
· Line a muffin baking tray with multix cases.
· Pre heat oven to 180`c.
· In a bowl combine honey, agave, stevia drops and butter.
· Add in eggs.
· Mix in yoghurt and then almond meal followed by beetroot.
· Sift in flour and cocoa.
· Very gently combine.
· Spoon into cases and top with chopped chocolate.
· Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until springs back from touch.
· Enjoy one with afternoon tea.
· Swap honey for stevia powder for much less calories. You will find it in the sugar isle.
· Swap chocolate for chopped prunes.
· Make toddler friendly sizes using a miniature muffin tray.
Recipe and images by Rebecca Murgidge(c)RebeccaMugridge2012
Get more of my recipes:
- In my book, The Pram Diet, which is full of recipes, inspiration, expert edible gardening tips and real life ideas for mums to feel good about themselves and get healthy and happy after a baby (or many :)
- By following this blog - sign up via email on the right hand side and get new recipes each week!
- And my Facebook Page
This recipe was created for the Maleny IGA's Local Product Local Recipe - recipe card series, showcases local Sunshine Coast Products in delicious recipes.