Bobotie is a traditional African dish combining curry with fruit, it has an amazing flavour! Now thanks to Gourmet Afrika, a Maleny company you can buy ready-made Bobotie Sauce and Spice Set and make the traditional dish at home or try my version of this dish. Gourmet Afrika range is available from the Maleny Supa IGA, who deliver groceries via online ordering across the Sunshine Coast.
This is my recipe from the Maleny Supa IGA Local Product Local Recipe card series, available to collect in store from their deli counter, celebrating and promoting local producers.
1 jar Gourmet Afrika Bobotie sauce with spice set
1 large sweet potato
1 red capsicum
1 yellow capsicum
¼ cup prunes (pits removed)
1 litre chicken stock ( I like Campbells chicken or vegetable and also Massa stock cubes with no trans fats)
Cooked rice to serve
- In a deep saucepan, heat a little oil and fry onion until translucent.
- Add Bobotie Spice Set, stir together.
- Chop and add in sweet potato, carrot and capsicum, stir.
- Add half the Bobotie Sauce jar and half vegetable stock, mix together.
- Simmer for 20 minutes and add in second half of the vegetable stock, stir.
- Leave to slowly simmer until vegetables are almost cooked through, add zucchini and prunes.
- Simmer for a further 6 minutes, making sure zucchini is cooked.
- Serve with a dollop of Bobotie Sauce on the side and cooked rice.
- The delicious smells that will come from your kitchen while this cooks will have all your family buzzing around the kitchen!!
- Add meat or vegetarian Sanitarium nut meat for a different version.
- Try the exact traditional Gourment Afrika Bobotie Spice Set, recipe on the packet for a real taste of an Africa dish.
- Add some chilli for extra heat.
- Make their version alongside yours in a smaller saucepan, a much milder version with less spices and sauce, more stock and vegetables, serve with rice and Maleny Dairies Natural Acidophilus Yogurt.
You can collect and keep this recipe card and many more from the Maleny Supa IGA's deli counter
A new one is released each week!
Happy cooking fellow food lovers!