AS SEEN in the Sunshine Coast Daily - 2013
Looking for something fresh and tasty to serve for Christmas Day or a great dish to entertain friends and family at your next diner party? Or just a beautiful dinner or lunch idea for the family?
Fresh, light, healthy and looks gorgeous
Try my recipe Festive Prawns with Mango & Carrot Salad served with either my apple cider cinegar lemon dressing or for Sunshine Coast people who are ok with sugar try the lovely Lime & Ginger Dressing by Pomodora's
- 4 large green prawns per person
- 1 whole head lettuce
- wooden skewers
- 2 ripe mangoes, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded, chopped
- 2 cups Woodford baby spinach leaves
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 stalks celery cut thinly on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 limes
- Pomodora's ginger & lime dressing
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- honey to taste
- chili to taste
- I find this dressing is different for everyone, tweak the quantities until the flavour is just perfect for you - its beautiful!
- Soak skewers for 30 minutes
- Toast coconut by placing in a dry medium heat frying pan, stirring lightly browned, set aside.
- Gently combine carrot, celery, spinach, mango, coconut, chilli and sesame seeds in a bowl, gently toss.
- Lightly salt and then cook skewered prawns in frying pan or on BBQ, 2-3 minutes.
- Wash lettuce and pull of cups for serving salad in, arrange on plates, 1 per person - see notes.
- Fill each cup with carrot and mango salad, garnish with a little extra coconut.
- Place 2 cooked prawn skewers on each plate alongside lettuce cup.
- Serve with a lime wedge and a small side of the Pomodora's dressing for drizzling over the prawns and salad.
- To remove a lettuce cup - cut 3-4 cm off the bottom of a whole head lettuce. Hold under running water until cups (leaves) come loose, remove an discard outer leaves and use inner leaves (cups), drain.
- Use an iceburg lettuce for a more traditional, crunchier version or any whole head fancy lettuce for a decorative dinner parties, different lettuces for different effects.
- halve quantities for entree`and use small as possible lettuce cups.
- Easy entertaining, perfect for BBQ's, picnics and hot days.
- Get the kids excited about salad, serve in very small child hand sized lettuce cups for easy, fun eating.
- Leave out chilli from their portion.
- Remove points on skewers.
I am also VERY excited to share that this was my
first recipe printed also in a newspaper, as it appeared in the Sunshine Coast Daily!
This recipe was one of my commercial recipe creation projects for client Maleny Supa IGA.
Maleny Supa IGA have an extensive range of gorgeous local Sunshine Coast products and I created the recipe and all the photography for their collectible Local Products Local Recipes - recipe cards