When your having desserts, treats why not have one that has some goodness in it and still tastes amazing! PLUS your house will smell AMAZING when you bake this one! Served with the DELICIOUS Ginger Maleny Gourmet Yoghurt
- 1 cup dark coconut sugar or organic brown sugar
- ¾ cup oil
- 3 free range eggs
- 2 cups organic self raising flour (or spelt flour with added extra baking powder)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 &1/2 cups finely grated carrot
- ¼ cup finely grated freshginger
- 1 & ½ packets of Philadelphia cream cheese (375g), softened
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup icing sugar (or try Natvia stevia icing sugar!! We love this in our house)
- Rind of 1 orange, 1 teaspoon kept separate
- A great yoghurt to serve
• Preheat oven to 180`c.
• Grease and line 2 round cake tins with baking paper.
• In a bowl add the brown sugar and oil, beat together.
• Add the eggs one at a time, beat in.
• Sift in the flour and baking powder.
• Mix in the carrot and ginger, stir well to combine.
• Pour mixture into cake tins.
• Bake until firm, approximately 1 hour.
• Remove cake from oven, leave a few minutes before turning onto wire racks to cool.
• In a bowl place the cream cheese, lemon juice, icing sugar and orange rind.
• Beat together.
• Put one layer of a completely cool cake on the serving dish, spread with a layer of the cream cheese.
• Top with the second cake.
• Cover with remaining cream cheese mixture.
• Sprinkle separate teaspoon of orange rind and decorate with walnuts.
• Serve each slice with a dollop of the Maleny Gourmet Ginger Yogurt.
• For real ginger lovers you could increase the ginger in this recipe for more bite.
• Powdered ginger can be used but is much stronger in flavour so you would only use a fraction of the amount.
• Serve a small piece with some vanilla ice-cream or yogurt.
• If ginger is not popular remove a small amount of cake mixture after the carrots but before the ginger and make them their own miniature ginger free version or with just a slight hint of ginger.
This recipe is from my professional portfolio and was a featured recipe in the Maleny Supa IGA local product local recipe - recipe card series I created for them, with over 52 recipes featuring local products.
Recipe & Food Image Photography ©RebeccaMugridge2012